1/23/11

Alivia Joy Ward

Alivia joined our family January 20 at 11:06 am. She was 7 pounds and 18 1/2 inches long.

We got to the hospital about 7:40 that morning and were waiting for the doctor to come break my water.  She came and got feeling around in there and could tell something just didn't feel right. She was feeling for the sutchers (sp?) on the head and was not finding anything but softness.  I've been told for weeks that my baby had flipped and was head down by several different doctors.  So it was possible that maybe she had flipped back over.  She did an ultrasound and sure enough, her head was not down.

This would not have been a big problem had she not just broke my water and my contractions were already getting harder.  She called the on-call doctor and he came in. It was decided that in trying to avoid a C-Section, they would give me an epidural (which I've never had before) and try to turn the little stinker so that I could deliver normally.  After the epidural and a long, agonizing time of them working on trying to turn her, they determined that she for some reason would not turn.  Then we had a choice of going with a breech vaginal birth or with a C-Section.  After talking with Ryan and a few tears shed, we decided not to risk it and to just go with the C-Section.

They turned up the epidural and shortly had me prepped and ready for surgery.  What a strange sensation it was. I was told exactly what they were doing as they were doing it. They were talking and joking the whole time, which made me more relaxed I guess.  They even asked what names we had to choose from and took votes.  The procedure went really well and seemed really quick and then I was holding my beautiful baby girl.  They said that the umbilical cord was kindof wrapped behind her shoulder and that was probably what was keeping her from turning.  So I'm glad we opted for the C-Section because that potentially could have caused problems with the breech birth.

After several hours in the surgery recovery room, we were moved to a regular mother/baby suite.  It took forever, it seemed to get feeling back in my legs and feet, but man once that wore off, I realized the pain.  I hurt more from them trying to turn her than from the actual incision.  I am so thankful she is here and safely. She sure is precious and we all love her so much.  She seems to be a pretty content baby and we're sure gonna enjoy her...especially once I get to where I can move again.

7 comments:

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Congratulations! I'm glad everything turned out. Let me know if you need anything. The sign up sheet to bring a meal in never made it to me in R.S. but I'd love to bring one. Just let me know what day you don't have one coming in :) She's a little cutie!

Katie said...

Wow, I'm surprised you had the option to deliver breech! Congrats, she's so sweet!

mandbrid said...

What a beauty! Congrats! I've had a c- section and had them externally turn a baby but not in the same delivery - OUCH! Hope that you heal quickly and have lots of time to enjoy your new little one.

Whitney said...

Yay! Welcome Alivia! Congrats Corey! Love ya!

Johnsonville said...

Congratulations, Corey and Ryan and family. What a sweet little one! I'm so glad everything ended up okay. I hope your recovery goes well, Corey. We miss you guys! Take care! :)

South Jordan Pryor's said...

Aliva Joy,
Welcome to our family. We can't wait to meet you and give your Mom a hug for being willing to bring you into this world. Your parents will teach and train you. Your brother and sisters will teach you many things too. But just know that we all love you and are gald you are here.
Hugs and tender kisses
Aunt Kristine & Uncle Keith

McKenna said...

She is so Beautiful just like her name!! Congratulations!!